Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blackberry Torch: Too Little, Too Late

My dad recently received a Blackberry Torch, and I had some time to play with it. Here is my take on the Torch, by RIM. To start, the Torch has a nice design, but can be a pain to open. The keyboard kind of fits in with the bottom bezel of the phone, so it is extremely annoying to push open. Aside from that, the Torch is a fairly sleek looking device. The software on the device feels like a small step up from the usually Blackberry OS, but is definitely not enough to compete with IOS or Android. I just cannot shake the boring, Blackberry-ish feel. It is not customizable to any extent besides the wallpaper (Apple seemed to forget that for the 1st 3 years of the IPhone, though,) and I don't feel as in control of that as Android. Now, from a hardware standpoint, the Torch is not the most impressive, comparing to the usual devices of today. It has a 624 mhz processor, a 5 megapixel camera (very low-res video), and has little power. But the device seemed to be very snappy in transitions, web browsing, and loading content. It actually came pretty close to matching my Droid 1 running froyo, which is pretty impressive. All in all, the Torch is a big step up from RIM's usual choices, but is not enough to wow the market. Be sure to follow me on Twitter, and please bookmark and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment