Friday, December 10, 2010

Is Youtube Getting Bloated?

It seems as if Youtube has a case of Internet Explorer 8. The video uploading site has been experiencing upload and publishing problems all year, even in the case of partners. And recently, Youtube has cut the cap on video limits, stating that users who have a history of complying with copyright guidelines will start to see the limit taken away when clicking on the "upload" button. To me Youtube has become clunky, slow, and not smooth. Video takes forever to render on my PC and even worse on my IPad (although my Droid has smooth playback and only 1 second of buffering), and frankly, "1080p" videos are extremely choppy. Youtube has to set the rules straight for the loss of angering a few people. If I was the Youtube CEO, I would say the upload limit is 10 mins, and you can only upload a certain amount of videos per day, for the exception of partners. Youtube also needs to cool it with the banner ads on the homepage. I am sure no one will miss seeing some lady from Target go nuts with her shopping cart as the ad asks you to enable sound. Maybe something more subtle, as it will look more modern and use less (if not any) flash. Why do I think Youtube is getting like this? Because I played an HD video on Vimeo that had literally no buffering time and the playback was smooth as butter. I understand Youtube has much, much more pageviews, put come on Google, don't you have something up your sleeve? Please comment, share and follow me! Happy holidays guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment